Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Cool web site #1

Okay, so being that I am letting people know a little more about me and letting people know about some of my weird aspects, I thought I would let you know about one of my favorite websites. I first learned about Threadless about 4 years ago as I read a very pint size article on them in a magazine. One of the things that caught my eye was that it was a Chicago company and that they were run by kids my age. I checked out the site and little did I know that I would become a fan and a die-hard supporter of their way of life. My Mom made fun of me when I joined their T-shirt of the month club a couple of years ago and my Dad would always laugh when the t-shirts would arrive in the mail in the sealed plastic bags. But I don't think anyone is laughing now. This company is one of the most successful and coolest of its kind and both the founders were recently named to Crain's 40 under 40. Pretty impressive for two kids who didn't finish college and who basically print t-shirts. The concept is pretty simple. Have a t-shirt design contest where designers all around the world submit their unique, original designs. Let the public vote and then print the winning designs on t-shirts. Keep the winners happy by giving them cash prizes and then selling their t-shirts on-line. All the while, never selling out and creating a community that is one of the coolest on the Internet. I wish I had the foresight to see that this company was going places years ago and applied for some type of job, any type of job! I would be one happy man as they have so much fun and can wear whatever they want to work! Take a look at this video from Chicago Tonight and you can learn a little more about how Threadless all came together and why they are the envy of so many people out there. So next time you see me in an obscure t-shirt or in my lion sweatshirt, just smile and say, "Gotta be a Threadless!!"

1 comment:

kateOD said...

I read blogs at work all day - will add yours to the lineup!!

:) Kate O'D