Wednesday, April 11, 2012

50/50 and Joseph Gordon-Levitt

BTW, I don't know what is up with my paragraghs in these posts, but I cannot get a space in between them and so this looks really bad. I cannot figure it out, sorry for the confusion...
I am on a movie tear here of late! My Netflix cue is on fire and it feels really good to be getting in some quality movies that I have been wanting to see. This past weekend I picked up a couple of flicks, the first one was The Debt. Now not really going to spend any time writing about this one as I was sort of ambivalent toward it. Good idea of a story and some good actors, but I don't know, in the end, just was not feeling it. Can't really place my finger on it, but definitely glad I waited to see this one at home rather than in the theatre.
This leads me to the second film I saw this past weekend, 50/50, which stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen. Gordon-Levitt plays Adam who is a pretty regular guy who shortly into the film is diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. The plot then focuses on how Adam attempts to deal with this devastating news and how it affects his relationships with his best friend, a sort-of girlfriend, a mother who is a little over-bearing and a father who suffers from Alzheimer's. How Adam handles each of these relationships and how everyone else reacts to the cancer is what keeps this movie moving forward. Add into the mix a young, female doctor who is trying to help Adam cope with his feelings and you have a really good movie, that is equal parts comedy and equal parts emotional drama.
I really liked this film and I will tell you why - I was expecting more of a regular film about someone dealing with cancer, but what I got was a film that really showed how relationships work and how what it comes down to in the end is the how we truly feel towards others. Probably did not make a whole bunch of sense what I just wrote there, but I really liked the dynamic of the relationship between Adam and his best friend played by Seth Rogen and Adam and his Mom played by Anjelica Houston. I think you might be surprised with what takes place.
Lastly, just like I talked about Tom Hardy in my last post, I am going to make a pitch for Joseph Gordon-Levitt and how he is one of the better actors out there right now. A clear signal to me as to who is really good is who Christopher Nolan (who is amazing) taps to play characters in his movies and Gordon-Levitt was not only in Inception, but he is also in the upcoming Batman film which comes out this summer. Any surprise as well that Tom Hardy is in both those movies? But getting back to Gordon-Levitt, he is really awesome in just about everything he has done lately and who would have thought this would be what we would get from him when he first appeared on TV years ago as the son on that show Third Rock from the Sun. I am a big fan of 500 Days of Summer and G-L is also going to be in the new Lincoln film which is directed by Steven Spielberg and comes out later this year. One last film that I have yet to see that he was in that got great reviews for his acting was Brick....I need to see that one. And do some searching for Gordon-Levitt on YouTube, he is a pretty good guitar player and has some cool stuff out there. Once again, become a fan of this kid, he is worth following...

No comments: